Friday, April 24, 2009

Choosing a Program

A common question that I get when I tell people that I am starting the Kelley Direct MBA program in the Fall is, "Why Indiana?".

Well, prior to choosing Indiana, I first had to choose to pursue an MBA. I have known for the past 5 or so years that I wanted to eventually get an MBA. However, I had envisioned myself getting the MBA in my early thirties. Just this past semester, I finished my MS in Accounting, and while there are numerous personal reasons I feel now is a good time to get my MBA, I also did not know how I would do with a break from school, ie. taking a few years off before the MBA program.

One thing however that made me nervous, is that the last time I looked (4 or 5 years ago), there were not a lot of well recognized MBA programs online, so I thought I would have to earn it through a lesser known school.

I started my research, that is to determine what possibilities were out there if I wanted to start now on my MBA, and initially came across sites listing those schools that are of course viewed as "online schools", and a handful of regionally accredited schools that had a good name, just maybe not for business. Needless to say, I was not "excited" about any of these schools. Yeah, it would be an MBA, but what sort of real value would it hold? Would I regret the decision years down the road by going with a lesser known school. That is when I happened upon the few great business schools that currently offer an MBA online. It was then time to determine which ones interested me, along with the few schools in town that offer part-time MBA programs.

My list ultimately came up like this:

1. Indiana University (Online)
2. Virginia Tech (In town, professional program)
3. Arizona State (Online)
4. Penn State (Online)
5. VCU (In town, executive program)
6. Florida (Online)

There were a few reasons for my list being ranked as this. First, the two in-town part time MBA programs, VT and VCU, I believe to be great programs and I have known people who had done these with raving reviews. The VCU program only ranked lower on my list due to the time and frequency of the class meetings, and the price. From the online programs, Indiana became my clear favorite, not only because the full-time MBA program is the highest ranked of those listed, it also allowed more flexibility in the timing (the others were lock-step programs), and IU also offered the option of building in a second degree towards the end of the program (I am thinking MS in Finance).

I applied, was accepted, and never even got around to applying at the other programs. However, I believe those online programs mentioned all seem to be great programs, and for different people, they may work out better than the IU program.

So ultimately, to the question, "Why Indiana?", I have to say that I have the option to earn an MBA and MS in Finance, I have flexibility in how quickly I progress through the program, and I am getting the MBA from the #15 ranked MBA program.

I feel content with my selection, and I look forward to beginning the program in the Fall.

2 comments:

  1. I am having hard time arriving at a decision of whether I should accept the admission invite or not. The fact that I have applied for part-time program at Kellogg and awaiting their response(they might take 3 more weeks to respond) makes it more difficult for me to commit to Kelly(I need to respond to Kelly by 30th June 2009). Do you know the downside, if I accept Kelly for now and then decide to join Kellogg in the next month if Kellogg accepts me? Basically, since I stay in Chicago, Kellogg part-time would be a better choice for me than Kelly online if Kellogg accepts me.

    ReplyDelete